Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

10 December 2011

from Paloma Mari-Beffa

My fondest memory of Jon is a very romantic one, although it happened “by accident”. In August 1996 I was a visiting PhD student in Nilli’s lab when I got involved with George Houghton (now my husband and father of our two sons), while he was a lecturer at UCL. Our relationship during those early days was secret to everyone except to a few strangers without name in Sevilla mia, Soho, where everything started. But to welcome me in a rather more respectable social context, George decided to invite Nilli, Jon and me over for dinner at his flat in Crouch End. We had a few drinks and snacks in the living room before George went to the kitchen to fetch some more food. I followed him promptly with the double intention of displaying good manners and helping myself to some private time with him. As this encounter in the kitchen was reaching its most private point, I opened my eyes to see Jon standing by the door and staring with amusing eyes. He politely retreated to the living room followed by us carrying the food and a sense of embarrassment. Jon and Nilli’s meaningful smiles declared the game over and the start of a lovely evening in the most pleasant atmosphere. They shared with us multiple anecdotes about their beginnings together and I got to see the most sweet and relaxed side of Jon. I remember him with his shoes off reclined on the red settee: His right arm warmly over Nilli’ shoulder, holding a beer with his left hand and smiling with beautiful eyes. It was indeed a great evening to remember; and this is how, accidentally, Jon became part of our own biography as the first person who "knew”. This is the image of Jon that I keep forever: relaxed, friendly and very close to Nilli.